Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2016 Photos of the Year

I'll just come right out and say it, 2016 was a pretty shitty year. Lots of really cool leaders and entertainers died, our country decided it wanted to halt what was a nice flow of forward thinking progress and economic gains and go backwards to a Mad-Men-esq era of old corporate white dudes who are mostly interested keeping each other wealthy beyond all belief(at the expense of the environment and the 99%). In some weird way though, I think it'll be a very prosperous 2017 for us news folk. If it's anything like the Bush years, which was the last time I called myself a working photojournalist, we'll be very busy. Bad economy, corruption, global conflicts, immigration/deportation, rights issues, will all be front and center these next few years like we've never seen. I really hope many media outlets and their journalists and editors, as a whole, can gain back some respectability after a rather pathetic election season where made-up, red meat scandals ruled our news cycles along with an orgasmic Orange crush on a certain candidate who helped manipulate and rile-up a large portion of our less educated, working class folks. He basically put out the bait and and caught whale. I hope to do my part by striving to show humanity in the people I photograph and by staying honest.
Keep up the fight everyone, be prosperous and have a great new year.

2 comments:

Richard Graham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard Graham said...

Wonderful photography, prescient words.