Sunday, June 26, 2016

Nolan Arenado(For ESPN The Magazine)

Spent a good part of the day shadowing Colorado Rockies 3rd baseman Nolan Arenado for ESPN The Magazine a few weeks ago while they were in a 3 game series with the Padres. It was quite an honor to get a call from the great folks over there and I hadn't been that nervous for a shoot in quite a long time. As with most athletes, Nolan was a bit camera shy and was uncomfortable having a snapper trailing him all day, especially in front of his teammates. Seemed like every time I put up the camera, he would conveniently be turned away. I had to constantly remind myself that this was an honor for him as well to be featured with ESPN and this could help his brand, and dammit, I needed to be kinda pushy to get the shots I needed. First, he denied me access to the locker room which is mainly what the cient wanted, behind the scenes shots, so I was able to negotiate 10 mminutes, uh, yeah, woo hoo. Then, I had to just wait on the field for him to pop out and do pre-game stretching and BP. I did get decent access to the dugout so was able to hang there for awhile. All in all it was a pretty tough shoot but a great experience, the client was happy and my Padres won that night.

No comments: