Saturday, September 3, 2011

1st MEU Homecoming(For Corbis)








It's been awhile since I've updated the blog. I just can't bring myself to post the corporate, commercial stuff I've been shooting lately. Seems like the cool assignments are dwindling by the week as the News biz these days has become a sinking ship that has already taken on too much water. In fact, these photos were shot on spec since none of my regular wire service clients seemed to have the budget for non-breaking news assignments.
I decided to challenge myself and shoot this all with the 50MM 1.4. It was tough because there was so much great action all happening simultaneously within the range of a wide angle. Also, these lenses focus pretty slow and are tough to get sharp when lots of motion is going on real fast around you.
Homecomings have always been a great challenge to shoot because once the marines are released, there is usually about 10 seconds of pure, raw emotion before it all settles into the standard kissy, huggy shots. I love the challenge though and it is always nice to see the families re-unite.

No comments: